Oak Brook, Ill., December 5, 2013 – Today, Ace Hardware, the largest retailer-owned hardware cooperative in the industry, unveils its winter 2013-14 color and décor trends hand-selected by Ace’s panel of Design Experts. With more than 30 years of combined interior design and color selection experience, Ace’s Design Experts – Julie Richard (Boston, Mass.), Nathan Fischer (Orange County, Calif.) and Katie Reynolds (Dallas, Texas) – worked together to identify the season’s top color trends from the Clark+Kensington® paint+primer in one color palette.
The shorter days and seasonal landscape of winter have inspired the enchanting palette, which features cool shades of slate and deep chocolates, as well as warm winter whites alongside rich pops of color to brighten up the winter and holiday season.
“Homeowners often overlook winter as a time of year that can inspire a rich and beautiful color palette inside of their homes,” said Richard. “Our winter color selections will allow them to easily warm up their indoor space and prepare their home for holiday festivities.”
Based off of the season’s most anticipated design trends, Ace’s Design Experts have selected the following Clark+Kensington colors for winter 2013-14:
• Winter is the perfect time to envelop a room in layered neutral tones such as Mocha Icing 3066 and Vanilla Latte 3062 or Hot Cocoa 3056 and Treasure Chest 3054. Be sure to bring in inviting, cozy textures through faux fur throws, plush rugs and luxurious velvet fabrics to add visual interest to the space.
• Rich, warm red tones like Port of Bordeaux 5014 add sophisticated pops of color to a brown and neutral palette like Greyhound 3044 and Biscaya 2046. Incorporate these pops of color on furniture, doors or architectural accents throughout a room in a high gloss, lacquer-like finish.
• Add depth and an element of coziness to a living room or bedroom by bringing in deep shades of blue-grey colors such as Black Orchid 5058 and Colonial Shades 5066.
• Layering colors in unexpected combinations will also be popular this winter. Try pairing Inspire Awe 3058, a light off-white, with a bold brick red like Smoked Paprika 4048 or Magnetic Force 5022, a deep eggplant hue.
• Shades of grey will continue to be on trend and a popular color choice for homeowners this season. Try a lighter hue like Winter Chill 5064 or Baby Elephant 3052 or choose a deeper shade of grey such as Smooth Slate 5042 for a more dramatic look.
Once the colors are selected, Ace’s Design Experts recommend the following winter décor tips for homeowners that are looking to bring the elements and trends of the season into their homes this winter:
• For a rich, warm feeling in any room try color blocking gem and jewel tones in creative ways from the floor to ceiling and with furniture and accessories.
• Display vases of branches or bowls of pinecones as a festive, yet elegant way to bring the outdoors inside this season. Homeowners can also spray paint the branches and pinecones with a white or silver color for a frosted look.
• Greek keys, an iconic geometric pattern, will be seen across all elements in home décor this season. From bedding to pillows to wall graphics, it will give the space a classic, designer look.
• Faux elements will also be a popular trend this season, from faux wood grained furniture and wall coverings to faux fur throws and faux taxidermy, every homeowner can add a touch of this trend to their homes no matter their budget.
• For a more sophisticated, elegant look, try adding bronze and brass elements throughout the home, including art pieces, lamps and cabinet or door pulls paired with a neutral color palette.
Clark+Kensington, a premium line of paint+primer in one, is available exclusively at Ace Hardware and its satin and semi-gloss finishes were ranked #1 by a leading consumer magazine in recent tests of interior paints. The paint line features 120 colors that harmoniously work together to simplify the paint color selection process and offer homeowners the ability to create a space that matches their personal color and décor preferences.
For more information on Clark+Kensington, Ace’s Design Experts or the winter 2013-14 color trends, please stop by your local Ace Hardware Store or visit www.pinterest.com/acehardware.